- Ontario Knife Rat Ii High-Quality Folding Knife – 7-Inch
- CJRB Feldspar Budget-Friendly Pocket Folding Knife – 3.5-Inch
- Kershaw Oso Sweet Folding Pocket Knife – 3.1-Inch
- Kershaw Brawler Best-Budget Folding Pocket Knife – 3-Inch
- CRKT Pilar Best-Average EDC Pocket Knife – 2.4-Inch
- Smith & Wesson High-End Folding Knife – 3.6-Inch
- Spyderco Cara Cara Good-Rated Lightweight Knife – 3.75-Inch
- Cold Steel Low-Priced Folding Knife – 4-Inch
- Victorinox Swiss Army All-Purpose Pocket Knife – 2.5-Inch
- SOG Fielder Best-Budget Folding Pocket Knife – 3.3-Inch
- GERBER Reasonably-Priced Folding Knife – 3.6-Inch
Best Pocket Knife Under $40
1. Ontario Knife Rat Ii Folding Knife of 7-Inch AUS-8 Stainless Steel Blade
The rat-2 comes equipped with a 3-Inch plain edge blade made of reliable AUS-8 stainless steel. I’ve never had a problem getting a good edge on this steel, and it holds up well.
The blade on this RAT II is shaving sharp out of the box and perfectly centered. The blade shape is appropriate for just about any task. The knife is fairly lightweight and slim, perfect for pocket carry.
The rat-2 knife handle is constructed from Nylon(FRN). The size is 4.1-Inch which has designed for comfort and performance making it ideal for everyday carry.
The texture of the scales is adequate. I wouldn’t mind a more aggressive texture, but between the ergonomics and the jimping, this knife feels solid in my hand and I can get a full 4-finger grip on the handle.
The handle features textured black nylon 6 scales with an open-built steel liner lock frame. The lock provides a secure open position, along with a textured nylon handle for a firm grip.
The RAT-2 liner lock provides a secure open position, along with a textured nylon handle for a firm grip.
The pivot has phosphor bronze washers with Teflon spacers for ultra-smooth opening action. Quick and easy access with dual thumb studs and a 4-way reversible pocket clip.
- It opens incredibly easily with one hand and closes just as easily
- The blade is high-quality steel, ultra-sharp
- This knife is designed for comfort and performance
- The removable pocket clip along with a thumb stud flipper makes it ideal for everyday carry
- Very well-made blade of pretty decent steel for the price
- Very useful blade shape with a great grind from the factory.
- Excellent grip considering the uses for a small folder
- The perfect blade length for a pocketknife fits well in my hand
- Superb fit and finish
- 4-way reversible pocket clip for convenient carry
- Not assisted open
- Doesn’t come with a serrated option
- Cheap paint on carrying clip
- The lanyard hole is too small to easily use 550 paracord
2. CJRB Feldspar Pocket Folding Knife of 3.5-Inch D2 Steel Blade
D2 is High-performance steel that stays sharp and performs well under the harshest conditions. It has high wear resistance and anti-wear properties, we Harden ours between 59-61 HRC to achieve peak performance on a tool that is made to last a lifetime.
The steel offers excellent edge retention and toughness as well as the ability to take a very keen edge that will last for extended periods.
We’ve inset the liners of the Feldspar Folding knife into the G10 scales, allowing for a supremely comfortable grip and a thinner profile in hand.
For people who want their knives to perform under any condition, this handle is an excellent handle material option. It has temperature resistant, water resistant, non-reactive, non-conductive, and exceptionally tough under pressure.
Great action with the flipping studs and the blade falls shut when closed with the liner lock. Thumb studs allow for quick and reliable action whenever the knife needs to be opened.
The Feldspar boasts a true deep-carry clip that will entirely disappear into the pocket. This is perfect for keeping your knife discreetly on your person while still allowing it to be accessible.
we promise our knife 100% factory test with a 1-year warranty.
- Made of good quality D2 steel.
- Remarkably sharp ‘out of the box
- Unique look and fairly lightweight
- The folding mechanism is assisted
- Opens fairly easily even for us south-paws
- The lock mechanism seems quite sturdy and holds the blade open tightly
- The belt clip holds tight in medium-weight denim but lets the knife come out easily for use.
- The pocket clip digs into the palm of my hands during use.
- No blade lock while closed
3. Kershaw Oso Sweet Folding Pocket Knife of 3.1-Inch 8Cr13MoV Stainless Steel Blade
Skillfully constructed out of 8Cr13MoV stainless steel, the classic drop-point blade with a hollow grind has excellent strength, corrosion resistance, and wear-resistant properties. Kershaw’s precision heat-treated steel powerfully takes and holds an edge and offers wear resistance that can withstand damage from abrasive and adhesive wear.
Titanium Carbo-Nitride blade coating produces an attractive, sleek black or gray coating that increases the blade’s hardness and helps maintain a razor-sharp edge. Blade Length: 3.1-Inch, Closed Length: 4.1-Inch, Overall Length: 7.2-Inch, Knife Weight: 3.2 OZ
The black glass-filled nylon handles incorporate textured “scales,” or molding, into both sides of the handle. Stainless steel contains chromium to equip knife handles to withstand rusting and provide corrosion resistance.
Offering excellent durability, stainless steel knife handles often incorporate etching, patterns, ridges, or lines for a less slippery grip. The pattern is stunning and unique while also providing a fair amount of traction.
The SpeedSafe Assisted Opening and a flipper that the blade will lock up safely and tightly, and help retain the blade in the handle when closed, are a great combination.
Linear lock releases easily but is positive enough that I can trust that the blade won’t collapse on my finger. Reversible pocket clip for tip-up or tip-down carry.
- Built with many high-quality processes to maximize performance
- It came very sharp right out of the box
- It is easy to carry and secure to use
- The knife fits comfortably in pockets
- The knife is lightweight
- Feels good, Looks good
- The handle feels good, and grips well even if my hands are a bit greasy
- Assisted open really fast
- Easy one-handed operation for both opening and closing
- Added a lanyard hole
- It arrived with a limited lifetime warranty
- The clip can bend over time
4. Kershaw Brawler Folding Pocket Knife of 3-Inch 8Cr13MoV Stainless Steel Blade
The 3” tanto style blade made of 8Cr13MoV stainless steel features excellent edge retention and corrosion resistance with a black-oxide finish. A budget-friendly, reliable, top-of-the-line Chinese-produced steel has carbon and slightly less nickel for hardness and edge retention.
Kershaw’s precision heat treated strongly takes for easy sharpening and stays razor-sharp for a long time to provide an edge that suits my needs.
Very tough, able to take heavy-duty hard use, and versatile, glass-filled nylon handle material is a nylon synthetic polymer reinforced with glass threads for increased strength.
Glass-filled nylon has incredible stiffness for a secure and stable grip, great ability to withstand heat, and dimensional stability combined with excellent wear resistance.
Kershaw’s revolutionary SpeedSafe assisted opening system enables smooth, secure, fast one-handed blade deployment. The liner locking system safely secures the blade open and prevents unwanted blade closure.
The 4-position pocket clip allows tip-up or tip-down carry on both the right and left sides, providing users the most versatility.
- The tanto blade is great and takes an edge nicely
- The great-looking tanto blade
- For the money, it is a great deal
- No-slip grip handles
- has quickly become my go-to EDC knife
- The flipper is well-protected and smaller than some of my other assisted openers
- It opens fast but is durable
- The liner lock is thick and solid. No budging this one
- Great for utility and protection
- The pocket clip is strong!
- It’s just too thick
- Belt clip might not fit some thicker belts
5. CRKT Pilar EDC Pocket Knife of 2.4-Inch 8Cr13MoV Stainless Steel Blade
The 2.4-inch flat grind blade has a satin finish and has constructed with 8Cr13MoV stainless steel. A very sharp cutting edge ends in a fine but strong tip.
And yet it provides much more personal protection than the typical pocket knife. The blade is long enough for all my cutting needs. Especially with smaller blades, I find that helps me better control the blade.
The 3.5-Inch handle is built with a stainless steel handle. The handle is bead blasted with average-sized hands, and it fits my hand perfectly when I hold it with my index finger in the choil in front of the handle.
The smooth handle design never snags on tight pockets. Precise engineering feels comfortable even after extended use. There is a hole in the handle opposite the blade.
The frame locking mechanism on this knife is strong and well-built. The thumb slot allows the blade to be opened with either hand and the opening action is very satisfying. Reversible pocket clip for comfortably carry.
- Extremely sharp blade.
- Well-made solid construction and confident lock-up
- The knife and blade are weighty/substantial (a good thing)
- Nice compact size; easy to carry
- Doesn’t rust after rinse/wash
- The thumb slot allows for an easy ambidextrous opening of the blade
- The clip can be arranged for point-up or point-down carry
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Included a lanyard hole
- The lock is not impossible to use one-handed but it’s certainly not easy
6. Smith & Wesson Folding Knife of 3.6-Inch high-carbon Stainless Steel Blade
The blade is made of reliable 4034 black-oxide high carbon stainless steel. The serrated blade is a HUGE PLUS!
It’s a must when you need that added sawing action to slice through the harder-to-cut items (rope, plastic strapping, etc). The blade is super sharp. Very well-made knife not a cheapie, very firm weight, strong steel.
The aluminum handle has a great grip! This knife is great for self-defense and EDC! Also the handling, and the fact that it does not have that annoying extra lip of the blade when it opens; make it much more ergonomic and easier to handle. The handle sits well in my hand and feels very ergonomic.
M.A.G.I.C. assisted opening making it ideal for every day carries with smooth opening action(OL: 8.6 inches). Have confidence that the blade will not slip with the security of the liner lock and safety lock.
I especially love the lock mechanism (The safety switch) and the finger actuator. Quick and easy access with the convenient pocket clip.
- Good solid steel construction
- Has smooth spring assist opening
- The frame is very solid
- This pocket knife will cut through ANYTHING! in fact, I’ve cut myself by accident, so be careful!
- This is a sick folding knife! Great for EDC!
- The easy-open blade is an awesome feature that gets it open fast with one-hand operation
- Knife Features Glass Breaker and Seatbelt Cutter
- This product is covered by a limited lifetime warranty
- The only drawback is that it’s a bit bulky and heavy
7. Spyderco Cara Cara Lightweight Knife of 3.75-Inch Stainless Steel Blade
The whole knife size is 8.5-inch and the blade is 3.75-inch with constructed of high-quality 8Cr13MoV stainless steel.
It is suitable for a thin blade profile to stripping and skinning wire and cable. It is easy to sharpen. It is great steel but it is susceptible to pitting and corrosion if you don’t care for the steel.
The 4.75-inch handle has manufactured with fiberglass reinforced nylon. These lightweight handles offer a superior grip and increased control.
The texture is very grippy and the jimping on the handle and spine add to the design positively. The handle profile is thinner than what I’m used to but it makes it easy to carry in your pocket.
The thumb hole is perfectly positioned so that you can either roll open the blade or flick it open. Added a four-position clip that helps you carry how you want.
The lock releases easily but holds the blade securely. The lock is very secure without being absurdly strong and tough to unlock.
- The blade is also thinner but is so far holding a good edge.
- Great value for the money!
- The blade is razor-sharp
- With the thin shape, I feel like it vanishes inside my pocket
- The FRN handle’s texture provides good grip/traction
- The lockup is solid
- The four-position clip that supports all possible carry
- Has a limited manufacturer’s warranty against defects!
- No cons, good knife
8. Cold Steel Folding Knife of 4-Inch 8Cr13MoV Stainless Steel Blade
Comprised of 8Cr13MoV stainless steel, and expertly hardened to 57-58 Rockwell and feature strong, points with just enough belly to make them equally useful for cutting and slashing.
The blade itself is very strong and easy to sharpen and shaved hairs off my arm right out of the box. it’s an excellent compromise in terms of being hard to keep an edge for a while, but not so hard as it brakes if dropped on concrete.
Made of glass-filled nylon (GFN), the Luzon handles are impervious to the elements. It’s very ergonomic and there’s a lot of room to try your grip since it’s a 7.5″ long handle.
It has become my go-to EDC knife because it is very comfortable and lightweight while used outdoors for extended periods.
The flipper motion is very smooth. Despite the size, I am able to open and close it one-handed. Safety switch for pocket carry and extra lock protection.
Offering incomparable levels of safety, they’re equipped with a sturdy leaf-spring lock and a (patent-pending) secondary safety mechanism that, when engaged is extremely resistant to shock and impact.
It fits just fine on my jeans or ripstop cargo pants and detaches easily. The pocket clip is so good, that it is a little difficult to get out of the pocket.
- Great shape and sharpness of the blade
- Lightweight and slim profile
- Excellent flipping action
- Ergonomics are awesome for a slim knife and very comfortable on the hand
- Attractive and unique looks for a budget knife
- The handle material is strong and non-slip
- This knife has a hole for a lanyard in the handle
- The pocket clip is reversible
- The knife has a limited warranty
- The tip of the blade has poor protection
9. Victorinox Swiss Army Pocket Knife of 2.5-Inch Stainless Steel Blade
High-quality stainless steel is properly tempered, annealed, and polished to achieve the required hardness and best resistance to corrosion.
This durable precision-honed cutting edge makes clean, accurate cuts. The saw blade and reamer are wicked efficient, the large and small knife blades hold a nice edge, and the workmanship is excellent.
The saw blade never needs sharpening and will rip through an extensive branch surprisingly well.
Screwdriver: A versatile screwdriver that has everything the professional needs. It is designed to meet various needs such as domestic appliances, furniture, automotive, factory, and daily.
Scissors: Make tough cuts with strength and control. These scissors are always on hand and can be used for trimming leaves, cutting off tags, clipping coupons, or emergency situations.
Bottle Opener: Made of stainless steel, sturdy and durable this function opens the wine, beer, soft drinks, soda water, coca cola, and more. A tool that is great for professional bartenders or home use.
This is a quality tool, easy to hold, and ABS handle. Has the right size too for easy handling with a good grip. Small enough that it is comfortable to use and operate but with enough gadgets that cover everything that you really need. Perfect pocket knife.
- Swiss-made pocket knife with 15 functions
- Blades come very sharp right out of the box
- Perfect for sawing wood or cutting ropes when doing outdoor activity
- Bring this knife with you on your daily adventures without sacrificing space
- It makes a great gift for any occasion
- Lightweight and compact – Takes up next to no extra room
- Very durable – had over a year and didn’t see any signs of wear and tear.
- Well made, None of the tools get jammed or stuck
- Includes scissors and a wood saw
- The Swiss Army Knife is the ultimate multi-tool.
- Victorinox provides a lifetime guarantee against defects in material
- The keyring is too small
- Dirt, dust, and little bits get stuck between the tools and can be hard to clean
10. SOG Fielder Folding Pocket Knife of 3.3-Inch Stainless Steel Blade
This SOG Fielder is crafted in 7Cr17MoV satin-polished stainless steel. The knife is beautiful, has a good blade, and has decent weight.
Right out of the box the blade has sharp as could be and hold an outstanding edge. The construction is great. It is put together solidly and tightly. Blade length: 3.3-Inch, Closed Length: 4.5-Inch, Overall Length: 7.8-Inch, Knife Weight: 4.8 OZ.
The lightweight folding knife handle is designed with textured G10 and silver bolsters. I especially like the handle which allows one-handed operation is easy.
It is very comfortable in my hand when I am using it. The shape conforms to my grip perfectly and the handle has just enough grip that it never slips. As far as ergonomics and balance this knife is perfect.
Easy carry knife thumb stud allows quick, great pocket knife as it’s easy to open and easy to close with just one hand.
Lock pocket knife features a liner lock for a secure hold and this system provides reliability and one-handed opening of the blade. The pocket clip is fixed for low-carry and tight so I have no worries about losing it.
- The blade is solid
- This blade looks nice and super shiny.
- Worth every penny.
- It takes an edge well and stays sharp
- G10 on handles is nice at this price point
- The handle feels nice and stable in the hand
- Solid lock-up with no blade movement, so far
- The handle seems to have good balance when gripped
- It is easy to open and engage the locking mechanism
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Made in the USA
- Thumb stud only on right side of the blade
- Possibly a bit heavy for some as EDC
11. GERBER Folding Knife of 3.6-Inch High-Carbon Stainless Steel Blade
Due to good quality high-carbon stainless steel steel, it is ideal for edge retention and heavy tasks. The serration on this blade is wicked sharp and could cut through lots of stuff.
The blade came razor sharp. By razor, I mean I shaved with it. The well-designed blade fits my needs perfectly.
The handle is created from grippy textured rubber, designed for secure holding and the grip fills the hand well for leverage during heavy cutting tasks.
The ergonomic design has maximized comfort, & reduces slippage. The rubberized handle has a good feel and provides excellent control.
Dual-sided thumb stud, for easy single-hand opening. I found it to be quick to open, very stiff when open, and no wiggle in the locking mechanism. It is very easy to open one-handed.
The Nylon sheath is a very lightweight, military-grade, mildew-resistant sheath that allows for horizontal or vertical carry for good performance.
- A military-grade sheath is durable and lightweight
- Has a lanyard hole
- It is a very lightweight and sturdy blade
- The blade also retains a keen edge when sharpened
- The knife is very sharp out of the box and appears well constructed
- The ergonomic handle feels smooth and has a very nice grip on it
- Easy to open with one-handed
- The lock release mechanism is on the backside rather than the typical spot under the blade
- Too much weight towards the knife